Our Story

A white church with a steeple and a weather vane on top, set against a partly cloudy sky, with green trees and other houses nearby.
A small church building (First Congregational Church of Blandford) painted dark blue with white trim, a steeple, front steps, and a sign in front, surrounded by a grassy lawn and a leafless tree, under a clear blue sky.

The First Congregational Church of Blandford traces its roots to the early settlers of Blandford, Massachusetts, whose faith and perseverance helped shape the community. Originally organized by Scots-Irish Presbyterian settlers in the 1730s, the congregation became one of the oldest church fellowships in western Massachusetts.

The settlers established their church in a rugged frontier wilderness where life was often difficult and uncertain. During the colonial frontier wars, including King George’s War in the 1740s, families faced the constant threat of attack. Some residents temporarily abandoned their homes for safety, while others attended worship carrying firearms for protection. Through hardship, isolation, and conflict, the congregation remained steadfast in its faith.

The first meetinghouse was begun around 1740 and served as both a place of worship and a center for community life. As the town grew and developed, the congregation gradually adopted the Congregational tradition while continuing its commitment to the gospel and Christian fellowship.

For nearly three centuries, the church has stood as a testimony to God’s faithfulness. From the challenges of frontier life to the present day, generations of believers have gathered here to worship, pray, and proclaim the hope found in Jesus Christ.